Family Speaks Out Following House Fire

By  | 

A family narrowly escaped an early morning garage fire, and say they are thankful to be alive.

Colorado Springs fire crews were dispatched to home on the 2300 block of East Monument Street around 3:30 a.m., Tuesday on reports of a detached garage on fire.

Paul and Larissa Vigil were forced to evacuate their home with their three children. All five made it out safely.

The cause has been determined as an electrical fire.

"We were not prepared for it. We live pretty much paycheck to paycheck,we pay our rent and we pay our car payment, insurance we don't have the extra kind of money laying around just to go turn around and get into a new house we don't have that kind of money," said Larissa.

The Vigils say they are devastated everything they have worked so hard for is gone. However, they are glad they woke up in time to escape the home.

"I just thank God that I woke up in the middle of the night smelling a weird smell. It was God telling me to wake up and get your family. I'm just glad he gave us all a second chance," said Larissa.

The Vigil family is accepting donations. They can be reached at (719) 229-0445.