Falcon Middle School Evacuated Due To Reports Of Odor

By  | 

An El Paso County middle school was evacuated Wednesday morning due to reports of a strong odor.

District 49 spokesperson Dustin Senger emailed the following release to parents of students at Falcon Middle School:

Falcon Middle School was closed today, after reports of a strong natural gas smell. The reports came in just before 9 a.m., and the school was immediately evacuated.

Students were evacuated onto buses sent by the transportation department, while district maintenance crews coordinated with Falcon Fire Department firefighters and local gas company inspectors to determine whether the building is safe to occupy.

A gas line was cut this morning during work on a rooftop heating unit. While the smell has dissipated, repairs and inspections are expected to continue for several hours.

All students were bused to Falcon High School, which is now a reunification point for families. At this time, parents and guardians should bring a state-issued identification and pickup their student from the high school's gymnasium.

Parents and guardians must enter Falcon High School through the student parking area, where faculty will direct them to the appropriate doors. Food and beverages are available to the evacuated students at Falcon High School.

Students who normally ride the bus will be bused home, as usual, at the end of the day. All after school activities are canceled and normal schedules will resume tomorrow.

Parents tell KKTV 11 News that they received a notification from the school that a gas line was cut while crews were working on a heating unit on the roof.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus