The fire department says careless smoking caused an early morning fire at a home near downtown Colorado Springs Monday.
The two-alarm fire was burning in a wall on one side of the building. Crews opened up the wall in order to get the fire under control.
Our crew at the scene says one of the residents woke up and smelled smoke before the smoke detector went off. Five adults and one child were able to get out of the building safely.
The building is a house that has been converted into three apartments.
The fire department says the Red Cross was called to help the displaced residents.
The fire was reported at approximately 4:25 a.m. on the 600 block of East Boulder Street in Colorado Springs. Fire crews reported they had it under control by 5:10 a.m.
KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.
If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.powered by Disqus
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.