'Columbine-Like Threats' Made On Facebook Page of Palmer High Student

Threatening posts on the Facebook page of a Palmer High School student prompted police to respond to the student's home Tuesday.

Colorado Springs police say they were called Tuesday evening and notified that a Palmer High School student may have posted "Columbine style threats" against Palmer High School on his Facebook account. Police say they went to the students home on North Nevada and confronted the teen.

The student told police the threats were meant as a joke. The student apologized and along with his family, it was agreed that he would not go to school the next day, Wednesday. April 20 is the 12th anniversary of the Columbine shooting in which 12 students and one teacher were killed.

As a precaution the School Resource Officer along with District 11 security initiated a safety plan for the school Wednesday. D-11's spokesperson, Elaine Naleski says the student is in 9th grade and the school did heighten security Wednesday, only due to the danger of other students getting their own ideas after the incident.

Heightened security means that more patrol officers are outside the school and more security inside school. Teachers are also asked to be extra cautious suspicious activity.

Naleski went on to say the district is doing a "threat assessment" and have not decided on a disciplinary action against the student.

• by Carol on Apr 21, 2011 at 08:52 PM
    So, kids should be just as gullible as mom and dad? They are growing up within the "post-9/11 world" propaganda. Maybe it's a joke to them because it is a joke.
  • by Steve on Apr 21, 2011 at 08:51 PM
    This kid is stupid, he should know better than to joke like that. However seeing as he was probably not even 5th when the columbine shootings happened, I can understand why he doesn't perceive it as serious.
  • by BeenThere Location: CoSprings on Apr 21, 2011 at 08:05 PM
    One of the problems today is that the children of today are not the same as when I was a kid. In the 50's, I remember all the threats to my safety and my possible demise due to the Russians and the ongoing Cold War antics by our government and the Russians. I had to deal with it, as well as my own personal conflicts that I was enduring as I pursued trying to growup and be accepted. Sometimes, I won and sometimes I lost, but I would never have dreamed of harming innocent people that had nothing to do with my situation. What would have been the point? Todays youngsters will lash out at anyone that stands in their way of attaining their fantasy aspirations. Teenage Wasteland spills into young adulthood.
  • by Anonymous on Apr 21, 2011 at 07:46 AM
    So if the step up survellance at the school over nothing why not just step up surveillence on Columbine day? Not as dramatic I guess.
  • by mR x Location: se spgs on Apr 20, 2011 at 07:36 PM
    threats mean nothing, doing it means alot!
  • by Anonymous on Apr 20, 2011 at 03:38 PM
    Get the 1999 video ready.
  • by JB Location: C/S on Apr 20, 2011 at 03:27 PM
    This kid needs a taste of juvenile detention.
  • by anonymous Location: colo springs on Apr 20, 2011 at 03:08 PM
    he needs a good old fashioned whipping!!!
  • by To Fed on Apr 20, 2011 at 02:59 PM
    The problem with today's society is parents are no longer parents. I too would have been knocked into the next century, but today, the parents are too afraid to dicipline because child services may put them in jail. I don't agree with it at all, but it's true. And SAD!
  • by Q Location: Peyton on Apr 20, 2011 at 02:28 PM
    Hey that kid is a rocket scientist. What were you thinking??? This child needs to not be allowed access without direct parental supervision until he is 18.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 120301944 - kktv.com/a?a=120301944