Colorado Springs Family Loses 13-Year-Old Son To 'Choking Game'

By  | 

A Colorado Springs family is mourning the loss of their 13-year-old son.

Memphis Burgess' family says their son was playing the blackout, or choking, game.

Memphis was a seventh grader at Skyview Middle School.

Brad Burgess recalls the night of December 10 vividly.

"I went into his closet and I found him leaning up against the wall on his knees. I thought he was messing with me and I shook his shoulder. That's when he turned around I noticed he was all blue and not breathing,” Brad Burgess said.

A soft rope was found nearby.

"His special needs teacher said there was a problem in the school and it sounded like he was a playing the choking game. That he had a cognitive delay so he probably didn't realize the severity of the repercussions,” Annette Burgess said.

The choking game cuts off the flow of oxygen to the brain for a brief high.

It can cause permanent damage to brain cells, strokes, or death.

"I felt robbed. He was definitely a light. He brought joy to everyone he met,” Annette Burgess said.

The couple hopes Memphis' story will be a lesson for other kids and parents.

At their son's viewing yesterday, they learned it already had for one of his classmates.

"One of them admitted to playing the game before and promised he would never play again. So I know that his life is at least going to have an impact,” Annette Burgess said.

The Burgesses ask that parents talk to their kids about the severity of the so called "game".

"So that no other parent has to go through what we're going through right now,” Annette Burgess said.