Drivers who don't wear a seat belt are being warned that law enforcement agencies will be on the lookout for them, and they could get a ticket.
It's part of a "Click It or Ticket" campaign focusing on rural drivers. It started Monday and goes through April 7.
CDOT says 178 people who weren't wearing seat belts died in accidents in Colorado last year. Fifty-nine percent of those deaths happened on rural roadways. CDOT says the majority of drivers were thrown or partially thrown from the vehicle.
El Paso County had the most deaths (11), followed by Weld County (9) and Lincoln County (7).
"Our main goal is to encourage all drivers to understand that wearing a seat belt can truly save your life,” Director of the Office of Transportation Safety at the Colorado Department of Transportation Darrell Lingk said in a news release.
During last year's campaign, 1,538 people were ticketed for not wearing a seat belt. CDOT says 88 percent of those tickets were given to people over the age of 21.
The campaign is a combined effort between CDOT, Colorado State Patrol and rural law enforcement agencies. The following agencies are taking part:
• Colorado State Patrol
• Alamosa County Sheriff’s Office
• Alamosa Police Department
• Baca County Sheriff’s Office
• Bayfield Marshal's
• Breckenridge Police Department
• Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office
• Costilla County Sheriff’s Office
• Dillon Police Department
• Eagle County Sheriff’s Office
• El Paso County Sheriff’s Office
• Firestone Police Department
• Fort Morgan Police Department
• Fremont County Sheriff’s Office
• Frisco Police Department
• Glenwood Springs Police Department
• Gilpin County Sheriff’s Office
• Huerfano County Sheriff’s Office
• Las Animas County Sheriff’s Office
• Logan County Sheriff’s Office
• Manzanola Police Department
• Monte Vista Police Department
• Rifle Police Department
• Silt Police Department
• Silverthorne Police Department
• Sterling Police Department
• Steamboat Springs Police Department
• Trinidad Police Department
• Washington County Sheriff’s Office