KKTV 11 News | Colorado Springs, Pueblo |  Breaking News| Weather | School Closings | Traffic

House Fire Ruled Accidental

By: KKTV
By: KKTV

Investigators say a fire that displaced one person was accidental. There is no word yet on the fate of a cat who was inside the home at the time.

The fire broke out around 9:45 a.m. Sunday on Garland Terrace near East Pikes Peak Avenue and South Circle Drive in Colorado Springs.

One person was home at the time of the fire. She was able to get out safely.

Firefighters say smoke was pouring from the roof when they arrived.

Crews cut a ventilation hole in the roof to help smoke, fire gasses and heat escape. About $61,000.000 worth of damage was done to the home, according to the fire department.

11 News talked with the neighbor who was first to call 911.

"I ran out back and there was black smoke...ran to the front and saw the flames and I just screamed, 'Oh my God.' Then all the rest of the neighbors came running with fire extinguishers and blankets and shoes," Kim Patmore explained.

Fire investigators say the fire was accidental and due to an electrical malfunction. Details about the nature of the electrical problem were not available.


KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.

If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.

powered by Disqus
KKTV 520 E. Colorado Colorado Springs, CO 80903 Office: (719) 634-2844 Fax: (719) 632-0808 News Fax: (719) 634-3741
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 251783881 - kktv.com/a?a=251783881