Authorities confirm that there no working smoke alarms inside the units damaged in an apartment fire Wednesday.
Several residents told 11 News that as the flames began to spread at the Devonshire Square Apartments Wednesday morning, their smoke alarms never went off. One woman told 11 News that by the time she realized what was going on, her hallway was filled with smoke.
The fire destroyed two units, and injured nine people. Four of those nine had to be taken to the hospital.
At least one person had to be rescued from the building.
The Colorado Springs Fire Department sent 11 News the following statement Friday:
The smoke alarms within the fire unit were not operational at the time of the fire. The Devonshire Apartments do not have a building wide fire alarm system. The property managers have told CSFD that they do inspect smoke alarms throughout the complex every six months. CSFD will follow up on those inspection reports with the property managers. A follow-up building wide fire inspection will be conducted within the next week (which is a typical process). The most recent fire inspection for the property was September of 2012 with no violations noted.
11 News has not yet confirmed if the smoke alarms in undamaged units were working Wednesday, but have been told by several tenants that their alarms did not go off.
We are continuing to investigate.