Bullying Victim Suspended For Fighting Back

It’s not the first time we’ve seen this. A nine year old boy won't be at school in the morning. He was suspended for fighting back against a bully. The school said there’s a no fighting policy so they’re both being punished.

There’s a visible mark on third grader Nathan Pemberton’s cheek and eye after he got into the scuffle at school Tuesday. He told 11 News he knows violence is not the answer, but he just couldn't take the bullying anymore.

Nathan was sent home from West Elementary with a big bruise on his left cheek. He told 11 News he was elbowed and punched in the face by a boy who's been bullying him for months.

"He was picking me up and he kept slamming me into the ground into concrete basketball place," Nathan said.

He says that's just a recent example of the physical abuse he endures. Tuesday, Nathan said it was time he had to stand up for himself.

"He elbowed me in the eye so I tried to push him away to where he wouldn't do it again and he kicked me in the back, I punched him in the face then he punched me in the face," Nathan recalled.

That punch cost him time at school. It’s because of the zero tolerance policy both he and the other boy were suspended for fighting.

"It now has become to protect the bullies and it's completely unfair," mom Deborah Pemberton said.

Nathan's dad, Allan, said it's up to the parents of bullies to protect other kids by talking to their own.

"Treat people how you want to be treated because you're not going to get anywhere in your life if you push people around," Allan said.

We talked with a District 11 spokesperson who says there's a zero tolerance policy for fighting. It doesn't matter what the reason is, if there is a fight and punches are thrown, any child involved is suspended.

The school is trying to solve the problem, when the two boys go back to school Thursday, one of them will be moved to another classroom.

• by WAKE Location: UP!!!! on Apr 21, 2012 at 02:45 PM
    MOST OF YOU DONT REALLY SEE WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON HERE ! AND MOST OF YOU MAKE COMMENTS WHEN YOU REALLY DONT HAVE THE SLIGHTEST CLUE . ALL OF THE NEWS REPORTS I READ TALKED ONLY ABOUT THIS LITTLE BOY. NONE OF THESE STORIES BROUGHT UP ANYTHING ABOUT THE HISTORY OF THIS KID AND HOW MANY DIFF. SCHOOLS HES BEEN TO BECAUSE OF DISIPLINE ACTIONS. NOT ONE ARTICLE HAS ASKED TO HERE THE ALLEGED BULLY SIDE OF THE STORY. THE SCHOOL OFFICIAL THAT WHAT THE ENCOUNTER ,STATED: THE TWO KIDS HAVE PLAYED TOGETHER NUMEROUS TIMES IN THE PAST AND BEFORE THEY STARTED THROWING PUNCHES THEY WERE BEST FRIENDS . NOT ONE MEDIA OUTLET HAS EVEN SPOKEN WITH THE OTHER CHILD. THIS OTHER FAMILY DEFINATLY HAS A DEFIMATION LAWSUIT IF THEY WANT IT. ANOTHER ELEMENT THE MDIA HAS MISSED , LOOK AT THE PARENTS OF THIS CHILD . SOME FACTORS SUGGEST THAT THESE PARENTS ARE USING THIS TO COVER UP ABUSING THERE OWN CHILD . THEY HAD THIS CHILD LIE ABOUT THIS ABUSE: THIS CHILD STATED -IN THE VIDEO -ON THIS SITE -THE ALLEGED BULLY PICKED HIM UP ,OVER HIS HEAD AND ,,AS THE CHILD PUTS IT --SLAMMED HIM INTO THE THING ...THE SCHOOL OFFICIAL THAT WITNESSED THE WHOLE INCEDENT STATED THIS DID NOT HAPPEN ---I ASK THE PARENTS ....IF THIS IS WAS SUCH AN ISSUE DID YOU DO EVERYTHING YOU COULD TO BE AT YOUR CHILDS SCHOOL AND DEAL WITH THIS ....I CAN SAY...I HAVE A D-11 CHILD AND I HAD TO ALSO DEAL WITH A SIMILAR SITUATION THIS YEAR , MY WIFE AND I WORKED INTENTLY WITH SCHOOL OFFICIALS AND BELIEVE ME ---THE PROBLEM DEFINATLY GOT ADDRESSED AND SOLVED. PLEASE PEOPLE QUESTION THE SITUATION AND GET ALL THE FACTS B4 U JUMP TO SUCH HARSE CONCLUSION . AND MY FINAL QUESTION IS ----SHOULD ANY D-11 ADMINISTRATION BE GIVEN DEATH THREATS OVER THIS??????????
  • by Former D11 teacher Location: Virginia on Apr 20, 2012 at 11:45 AM
    Some administrators in CSD11 press policies capable of endangering children. In 2001, while I taught at North Middle School, I was investigated and received a warning because I stepped between a larger boy who had baited then pummeled a smaller boy, first with his fists, and then with repeated kicks to floor the smaller boy when he tried to escape. It took 5 minutes between my call to security before security arrives. This sort of violence and disrespect for teachers was commonplace in that school. Try to teach in a classroom where the kids know the administration will trump the teachers. So, to keep scores high, that’s where the district places and then segregates students who attend the International Baccalaureate program just so the school’s overall performance rate doesn’t look so bad. Separate faculties, but one common achievement score. Wake up folks, the inmates are in charge of the asylum in too many schools in America.
  • by stand up Location: colorado springs on Apr 20, 2012 at 10:29 AM
    Why is this a school and child problem. When it should be a parenting problem. If the kid destroys something the parent are liable in court. Punish the real problem the PARENTS!!!!!! Its the enivorment they are raised that makes them who they are. Monkey see Monkey do!!!!! Duhhhhhhh
  • by Anonymous on Apr 19, 2012 at 01:05 PM
    This is now of fox news website, so it has gone national.
  • by Derp on Apr 19, 2012 at 09:20 AM
    I see how people believe anything these days, look at all these "special" comments about "sue them" and "go job fighting back" Yet they know pretty much nothing of what is going on.
      by bron on Apr 19, 2012 at 10:09 AM in reply to Derp
      What is going on?
      by Stand up on Apr 20, 2012 at 07:54 AM in reply to Derp
      Whats really going on then???
  • by Mom on Apr 19, 2012 at 07:48 AM
    I'm very, very proud of that little boy for defending himself. My children will NEVER be punished for defending themselves EVER. Infact they would be rewarded
      by What on Apr 19, 2012 at 09:29 AM in reply to Mom
      Prison is not a reward.
  • by sue Location: colorado on Apr 19, 2012 at 07:30 AM
    If this happened to one of the staff, even by a young student how would this be handled to protect them? The same options should be available to the young victim. The school has a responsibility to protect the children while they learn
  • by Jenn on Apr 19, 2012 at 07:22 AM
    Zero tolerance policy my A--!! If that were true, then the bully would've been suspended a LONG time ago!! I'm almost afraid to send my boys to school without them knowing some kind of martial arts! I have one son that's possibly Aspbergers (higher form of autism) and I know someone that has a child with that and says her kid gets bullied. It's pretty sad when special needs kids are being tormented for something they can't help and quite frankley, it makes me sick!!
  • by Anonymous on Apr 19, 2012 at 07:14 AM
    I'd like to know why they never did anything to this bully while he was beating this poor kid up! The kid throws one punch and he gets suspended, yet the bully treats him like a punching bag and they did nothing until now? Sounds like some BS to me!!!!!
  • by Mr B on Apr 19, 2012 at 05:29 AM
    This comment has been deleted.
      by Eh on Apr 19, 2012 at 06:02 AM in reply to Mr B
      if only you could go back in time....
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 147866935 - kktv.com/a?a=147866935