Black Hills Energy Asks Natural Gas Customers To Cut Back

By: KKTV News Email
By: KKTV News Email

Black Hills Energy is asking its customers to conserve natural gas because of the bitter cold weather.

Black Hills serves Castle Rock, Fountain, Monument, Woodland Park and several other Colorado communities

The company asks customers to lower thermostats to 60 degrees at bedtime and keep them at 65 during the day, now through Thursday

They also ask customers to delay laundry and dish washing or wash only full loads to limit water heater operation and if possible, conserve hot water by taking a shower instead of a bath.

Colorado Springs Utilities expects to have sufficient gas supplies, despite the near record demand for natural gas. Tuesday’s usage is expected to be nearly 235 million cubic feet, more than twice the amount consumed on an average winter day.

• by sam Location: pueblo on Feb 7, 2011 at 05:33 AM
    I can't believe how small minded people are. Someone said the leap people should be the one to turn the heat down, because the tax payers pay for it. Well, I get leap and thats the only assistance I qualify for. I'm a single mother of two boy's and work two jobs. I pay taxes also. You should really think of what u say before u say it.
  • by Daniel F Location: Front Range on Feb 2, 2011 at 09:44 PM
    If you have the means to pay for it be thankful. This time last year, if I recall, we had quite the homeless population. With the way the economy is perhaps BHE would like to set an example for the people it serves and offer to give something back, perhaps in the way of rebates or a donation to the El Pomar Foundation. CSU does and it really sets a good example.
  • by Laura Location: Fountain on Feb 2, 2011 at 07:21 PM
    So after I posted my comments last night, I found the BHE website ("4th quarter dividend increase for shareholders!" from 28 Jan), and the contact info for the Colorado rep. I sent a comment to him through their site and requested response via email, but haven't heard anything back. Black Hills Energy, your PR machine needs work - but please focus on customer relations first, it's sucking *more*.
  • by former BH customer on Feb 2, 2011 at 03:18 PM
    I had Black Hills when I lived in Widefield. They were so stinking unreliable. I had trouble almost monthly when they took over for Aquila a few years back. And then to call them was another nightmare. They need to learn what it means to give good customer service!
  • by Mike Location: Widefield on Feb 2, 2011 at 11:43 AM
    60' at night will freeze many water lines. Poor planning on Black Hills part. Natural Gas is pretty cheap right now. I'm curious whats going on.
  • by BH Customer Location: Cascade on Feb 2, 2011 at 11:37 AM
    Take note all of you who have Gas through CSU there in the Springs. You have no friggin clue how good you have it. Drives me nuts how much people complain about them (some of the lowest rates in the country and highest reliability)when my "private industry" gas company charges me through the nose and then has the nerve to tell me to cut back. Ridiculous...count your blessings folks. And those of you who want competition in the utility market...I pity you if you ever have to deal with the companies that do business on the outskirts of town.
  • by deedee on Feb 2, 2011 at 07:46 AM
    sorry,but 60 degrees in my house is way too low. and way too cold with -18 degrees outside. i pay my bill i can set at whatever i want. with the prices nowadays they can upgrade, the only ones that should be told what to set their heat on are people that get leap. after all it's us the tax payers that are paying it. and our own.
  • by chuckles Location: at the coal pile on Feb 2, 2011 at 07:39 AM
    my thermostat is already at 55-F where I have it almost permanently because I can't afford to heat my house. I wear a hat and gloves most of the time inside. The thermostat can go down to 45, but then the pipes will start to freeze up. How much lower do you think I should go ? Oh, and if I'm in this condition, there are a lot of other people here that are doing the same thing.
  • by Tim Location: WP on Feb 2, 2011 at 07:09 AM
    Wow these people need to look at waht is going on. They say they are going to run out. They dont want to pay people to get more then up our rates. Up here its set on 72 for 48 hours now. I pay my bills on time and when it is -24 plus the wind chill they need to relax. They should think about this before the cold. On average we leave our temp at 65 and our bill increases maybe 60 dollars for the cold months. Yes we can all save but its not our problem. As far as you people that are calling us babies. Think about the babies we have that need alittle more heat than 60. 3 young children get cold really quick. Well as far as the management they let go people who make alittle better money that can do there job and hire these new people for less that dont know what they are doing. Get used to it these companys only wanna make there money and shrug off the customers
  • by Bert Location: West Side on Feb 2, 2011 at 07:00 AM
    Hey JD I was going to bet that you would be the first one complaining when your rates go up because of the more demand but you are already doing that. Yes if you are paying your bill use all you want, but do realize that as the supply goes down and the demand goes up you are going to pay more for the product. As for those of you complaining about your service you do have choices move, switch the type of resources you use for heat and elect (think wood and generators) Remember you chose to live where you live and it costs more to maintain and to supply places that are further out from the main city. Me I set the therm at 62 and dress warm that way I still have some money left to waste on other things like ME, if you want to give more of your money to the gas co that is your choice. Just quit whining about it. Hey Jedi you say wake up but still use star wars for your screen name maybe you should grow up and readjust your thinking gas is going up to try and force green on us.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 115073244 - kktv.com/a?a=115073244