An apartment fire that displaced at least eight people has been ruled accidental.
The fire at the Montebello Garden Apartments in Colorado Springs was the result of an electrical malfunction, according to the fire department.
Two people were treated at the scene. Two cats were given oxygen after they were rescued from an apartment.
Eight to 12 people were displaced by the fire.
Witnesses told 11 News they only saw smoke, never any visible flames. Our crew on scene says they saw the smoke coming from the roof and one apartment.
The fire department says people should contact a qualified electrician if any of the following occurs:
- There are recurring problems with blowing fuses or tripping circuit breakers
- People experience a tingling feeling when touching an electrical appliance
- Outlets or switches are discolored or warm
- Appliances produce a burning or rubbery smell.
- Lights flicker
- Sparks come from a wall outlet
- Wall outlets are cracked or broken