Two Units Lost In Apartment Fire

By  | 

Smoke could be seen across the city after a fire started at a southwest Springs apartment complex Tuesday afternoon.

The fire forced people in several apartments to evacuate for a few hours.

This happened at the Cheyenne Vista apartments on Crestone Lane. That's not far from I-25 and Tejon just south of downtown Colorado Springs.

Springs fire officials told us they're not sure if smoke detectors were working.

Some residents we talked to say they do work, others said they don't. It's the folks who got caught in the chaos without any warning who are the most upset.

"I called 911 when I found out, I try to pull the fire alarms but they wouldn't work," Anthony Tafoya said.

Tafoya told us he was one of the first to see the fire.

"It's nerve-racking because I'm a dad, I have a daughter, there's a lot of kids so that's not good...if we can't warn the residents there's a fire, what's to say it doesn't sweep through and get them all," Tafoya said.

"It is scary," Martha Martinez echoed.

Martinez was home with her niece Ariel Enlow’s three kids when she saw the flames across the hall.

"I rushed back in there to grab the kids and get one of them dressed, and then we headed out the door as quick as possible," Martinez said.

Steven Enlow is the kids' dad. He was at work when he heard about the fire and called Martinez.

"I was...real panicky. It started bringing me to tears because we just got this place," Steven Enlow said.

"I definitely question whether or not my children and I are safe, for it to happen so close to home," Ariel Enlow added.

The Colorado Springs Fire Department spokesman said it appears the fire started in a second story apartment.

The Enlow family was allowed back into their apartment late Tuesday night, but he said their apartment has quite a bit of smoke damage.

The Red Cross told us they're helping at least 12 people because of the fire. Fire fighters said at least two apartments are unlivable. Fire investigators have not yet determined what may have started that fire.