A man accused of starving his 80-year-old father and leaving him covered in waste has been arrested.
James Madison is accused of leaving his father, David, in bed so long that his skin tissue died.
Police say they found the elder Madison malnourished and dehydrated Tuesday after a neighbor called them.
Madison was arrested for investigation of first-degree assault and committing a crime against an at-risk adult.
Neighbors say they became concerned after David Madison's wife died this year and they stopped seeing David Madison around.
The younger Madison told police his father wouldn't let him clean the bed.
David Madison was listed in fair condition at Memorial Hospital.
kktv.com Extended Web Coverage
Indicators of Abuse and Neglect
- Poor personal hygiene
- Unclean clothes or bedding
- Withholding drugs by caretaker
- Untreated physical or mental health problems
- Multiple injuries, burns or bruises
- Vague explanation or denial in view of obvious injury
- Conflicting or illogical explanations of injury
- Exaggerated defensiveness exhibited by caretaker
- Has "imprint injuries" (i.e., bruises that retain the shape of traumatizing object). Note shapes of bruises similar to objects or hand/thumb/finger marks. Inner arm or thigh bruise are especially suspect as are injuries to the head, scalp or face.
- Fearful of caretaker, but anxious to please
- Approximately 80 percent of elderly abuse occurs in women.
- The victims of abuse usually live in the family environment with an adult child or other family member who abuses them.
Source: Web Reports