A Colorado Springs baby is recovering after being hospitalized with a blood alcohol level that was four times the legal limit for an adult.
11 News spoke exclusively with the parents of the baby and they both told us it was a terrible mistake.
The baby’s mother, Sarah Smith, says she accidentally poured about 3 ounces of vodka from a water bottle into a baby bottle and her 2-month old baby Kristina drank the whole thing.
"It was an honest mistake...I had no idea there was alcohol in the water bottle," Sarah said.
She says Saturday night she and her boyfriend Ryan went to get a hotel room...while Ryan was inside...Kristina got fussy and so Sarah made her a bottle like she always does. She says she grabbed Ryan's water bottle...which was actually full of vodka...and mixed it with formula. Twenty minutes later they realized something was terribly wrong.
"She didn't respond...she was moving her arms and legs...her eyes were droopy and she just wasn't right," Sarah said.
Kristina had alcohol poisoning...her blood alcohol was a .364. Her parents say they are still in disbelief over what happened.
"I don't know what I would have done if I would have lost her," Sarah said.
Baby Kristina is now in foster care...but her parents say they hope not for long.
"We're going to do whatever we need to get her back," said her father Ryan Delaroche.
Police have yet to file any charges in the case...they say they are still investigating what exactly happened.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.