Manitou Springs Woman Dies Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

By  | 

A 22-year-old Manitou Springs mother is dead from carbon monoxide poisoning and authorities still aren't sure where the leak came from.

Authorities say there were no carbon monoxide detectors inside the apartment.

22-year-old Kelly Murphy, her 24-year-old husband Joel and their two-year-old son were all inside their home at the time.

The Murphy's were the only ones inside the entire house. They lived in the middle apartment of a three story Victorian home.

On Wednesday morning on December 17th is when the apparent carbon monoxide leak killed 22-year old Kelly Murphy.

"That's just sad and having a new baby. That's just very sad. My heart goes out to her family," said Peggy Taylor who is a Manitou Springs resident.

The Manitou Springs community is in shock.

When 24-year-old Joel Murphy called 911, he told the operator that his wife was dead.

"They shut the street off from way up there to way down there," said Taylor.

And it was a close call for Joel and his baby boy. Both were disoriented according paramedics.

"Their levels were high enough where they were admitted into the hospital for a night," said Sgt. Robert Jaworski who is an El Paso County Investigator.

You might be wondering how Joel and his son made it, but not his wife. "Carbon monoxide is an accumulative process, it can build up in the body over time," said Sgt. Jaworski.

Neighbors say the Murphy's had just moved into their apartment a few weeks ago.

Joel and his son no longer live there. They're now with family in Colorado Springs.

Friends and family of 22-year old Kelly Murphy are holding a benefit in her honor in Manitou Springs.

It will be held on Sunday January 4th at Venue 515 which is the Manitou Art Theater located at 515 Manitou Ave. in Manitou Springs, 719-685-4729.

The suggested donation is $10. There will be a spaghetti dinner along with music and an auction.

The group who is putting the benefit together says their hope is to raise awareness about the dangers of carbon monoxide.

For information about carbon monoxide poisoning and how to keep your home safe, click on the link below.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus