KKTV 11 News | Colorado Springs, Pueblo |  Breaking News| Weather | School Closings | Traffic

One Dead, Others Fight For Life After Explosion Levels Pueblo Restaurant

By: Leslie Fichera Email
By: Leslie Fichera Email
<b>UPDATE: Fire investigators in Pueblo have returned to the scene of a deadly building explosion Friday morning to figure out a cause. </b>

Rescue crews pull out a man trapped under the rubble for more than four hours after an explosion completely levels a restaurant in Pueblo, CO.

A huge explosion Thursday completely leveled The Branch Inn located at Union and C Street in Pueblo, killing one woman and injuring seven others.

Police say the call came in at about 2:15 p.m. that there had been an explosion on the roof of the restaurant located at 301 S. Union Avenue and the roof had collapsed.

Officials say two women were pulled from the rubble initially after being trapped for a time. One of those women, 22-year-old AshleyJohnson, later died at the hospital. The other woman, Jennifer Flower, was airlifted to Denver and is in good condition Friday.

After being trapped for more than four hours rescue crews pulled Eugene Roney, 74, from deep within the rubble. He was taken to Parkview Medical Center where he is listed in critical condition. Rescue crews say Roney was believed to be inside the building when it exploded and it is a miracle he is alive.

Another victim, 41-year-old Frank Vigil, also remains at Parkview in fair condition. Three other victims were treated and released. One person remains at St. Mary Corwin Medical Center. Their names have not been released.

There are a number of small boutiques in the area. One building next to the Branch Inn was also severely damaged by the blast, causing the roof to partially collapsed.

The Pueblo Fire Department says the explosion also completely blew out the windows in neighboring buildings.

Fire investigators in Pueblo are returning to the scene of the deadly explosion Friday morning to figure out a cause.

Fire officials say the damage is consistent with what could be a natural gas explosion, but they have not confirmed that yet.

The building is on the historical register in Pueblo. A new roof was installed just this year in April, 2008, as well as a new heater and cooling system in 2007.

Send pictures to News@kktv.com. Stay with KKTV and KKTV.com for the latest.


KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.

If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.

powered by Disqus
KKTV 520 E. Colorado Colorado Springs, CO 80903 Office: (719) 634-2844 Fax: (719) 632-0808 News Fax: (719) 634-3741
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 34418059 - kktv.com/a?a=34418059