If you have kids, chances are you've discovered products labeled "Child Proof" don't always keep kids from getting into them. The Lombardo Family of Colorado Springs family learned that the most difficult way imaginable, when their 3-year old daughter Chloe got into a bottle of prescription heart medicine last December. The Lombardos say the medication was in a child-proof container which they stored "out of reach of children." Still, they say Chloe and her twin brother Kevin found, opened and ingested the medicine-- Chloe, a lethal dose. Chloe's parents Kevin and Billie Lombardo say kids often mistake household products and medication for food and candy. That's why they're spreading the message that those items should be kept locked up so kids won't have to make that distinction.
"Don't assume those products are safe just because they're in containers marked child-proof," said Billie Lombardo. "They're not, because if they were, she (Chloe) would still be here."
The Lombardos are trying to get home builders to install at least one cabinet with a lock and key inside new homes, in order to store dangerous household products and medication. They're also pushing for low-income families to receive a free lock box, much like they receive free car seats.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.