Another fire blazed through 13 acres along Highway 94, just outside of Falcon. Firefighters says they suspect someone threw a cigarette from their car window and it didn’t take long for the fire to spread.
Denice Mellberg watched her land get scorched. “It moved unbelievably fast.” She feared where the wind would take it. “We began hauling buckets of water onto the hot spots.”
Firefighters know with the dry conditions and high wind, these 13 acres could’ve been a lot worse. “Two campers were burned, but no homes were damaged,” Lt. James Eddy with the Colorado Springs Fire Dept. said.
Mellberg said this is a reminder that people have to be careful this summer. Fire crews are done for the night, but neighbors say they're going to keep a close eye until dawn.