The Consumer Product Safety Commission has announced the recall of nearly 4,000,000 toy building sets after one death and four serious injuries from children swallowing small toy magnets.
The commission says it has received reports of 34 incidents involving the small magnets included in the Magnetix magnetic building sets.
A 20-month-old boy died after he swallowed magnets that twisted his small intestine and created a blockage.
The magnets are fitted inside the plastic pieces but can fall out. Should a child ingest more than one magnet, they can clump together and pierce or block the intestines. Inhalation is also a danger.
The toys were sold between 2003 and 2006 at Wal-Mart, Target, Toys R Us, Fred Meyer and other stores nationwide.
The Chinese-made sets were imported by Rose Art Industries of Livingston, New Jersey.