2 Mobile Homes A Total Loss After Fire

Firefighters believe a lit candle left unattended may be responsible for a fire that claimed two mobile homes in southwest Pueblo.

The Pueblo County Sheriff's Office says a man living in one of the homes left a candle burning in his apartment while he visited a neighboring trailer. When he returned a short time later, flames were already spreading inside his home. The flames soon spread to a second trailer. All occupants were able to get out safely.

The Pueblo County Sheriff's Office says the people living in the mobile homes are father and son.

One of the men tried to get some belongings from the burning home and was overcome with smoke. He was taken to the hospital as a precaution.

As the fire consumed both homes, a plume of smoke could be seen from several miles away.

Firefighters were able to get the fire contained quickly once on scene, but say that both homes are a total loss.

The homes are located on the 4500 block of W. 12th, which is near the Nature Center.

The homes are not in a fire protection zone, so firefighters only had the water they brought with them. They were out there through the afternoon watering down hot spots.