Cause of Fire

By  | 

Authorities say an unattended candle that had been lit in a candle shop sparked a fire that destroyed a commercial building in the Old Colorado City historic section of Colorado Springs.

The confirmation came Thursday from Colorado Springs Fire Investigator Gary Green.

Earlier authorities said they ended up leveling the historic building that had been gutted by the fire yesterday. Lieutenant Neil Luehring of the Colorado Springs Fire Department said the structure was dangerously unstable.

The blaze gutted four businesses that were housed in the building, including the candle shop, and caused an estimated $3 million in damage.