A dry Holiday tree is a tragedy waiting to happen. As soon as you bring yours home, make it fire-resistant by following columnist Jack Eden's recipe.
- 2 gallons boiling water
- 2 cups clear corn syrup
- 2 ounces wetting agent or 2 ounces liquid Woolite
- 2 ounces cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Borax
- 4 ounces liquid chlorine bleach
Stir mixture well in a 3 to 5 gallon container. Make a fresh straight cut about 2 inches across the base of the tree.
Then place the tree in the solution. It will take about 5 days for the tree to absorb the mix.
When you bring the tree indoors, use the mix in the stand at all times.