Unemployment Rate Drops For Fifth Straight Month

By: KKTV/AP
By: KKTV/AP

Unemployment numbers continued a downward trend for the fifth straight month, with more jobs added in January than in the eight months prior.

The Labor Department says employers added 243,000 jobs in January, with hiring widespread across many high-paying industries. Unemployment dropped from 8.5 in December to 8.3 in January.

Employers have added an average of 201,000 jobs per month in the past three months. That's 50,000 more jobs per month than the economy averaged in each month last year.

More good news out of January's report: the economy added 200,000 more jobs in 2011 than originally thought. Nearly twice as many jobs were created in 2011 than in 2010.

Not all news was good: 12.8 million people remain out of work, though the number is at the lowest since the recession ended. Eleven million more are underemployed, meaning they work part-time but would prefer full-time, or work in a job with low wages. Underemployment rates did drop slightly in January.

The U.S. still has a long ways to go to reach pre-recession numbers, with about 5.6 million fewer jobs than in late 2007, when the recession began.

• by oh boy Location: cs on Feb 3, 2012 at 12:44 PM
    @downtown. You don't broadcast on this site that you shoveled your neighboors driveway for free for braggin rights. You have some education to gain yourself. I would love to see where you are getting yours?!
  • by oh boy Location: cs on Feb 3, 2012 at 12:44 PM
  • by oh boy Location: cs on Feb 3, 2012 at 12:43 PM
  • by oh boy Location: cs on Feb 3, 2012 at 12:43 PM
  • by oh boy Location: cs on Feb 3, 2012 at 10:30 AM
  • by Downtown on Feb 3, 2012 at 08:53 AM
    Sorry if I sound so bitter, I just hate when people yap about things they do not understand. It's OK if you don't understand, just don't say anything. Oh, does anyone know what..As those people's who were on unemployment....means? http://www.bls.gov/opub/hom/homch1_d.htm here is a place to go get some facts.
      by C.S. on Feb 3, 2012 at 10:02 AM in reply to Downtown
      Well there are no reports that we are wrong....Mr know it all.
  • by JayeBee on Feb 3, 2012 at 07:40 AM
    All I want to know is, where are these jobs? I'd like one please.
      by Lorelei on Feb 3, 2012 at 10:39 AM in reply to JayeBee
      jobs are everywhere! I for my part have NEVER been without work for more than a week (except for a couple months after my kids birth).There is work out there, maybe not a golden opportunity, but a paycheck none the less.
  • by Really its 8.6% Location: Truthville on Feb 3, 2012 at 07:38 AM
    Without adjusting for seasonal hiring it's 8.6%. http://www.gallup.com/poll/152432/Unemployment-January.aspx
  • by Downtown on Feb 3, 2012 at 06:55 AM
    Everyone~These numbers are gathered from the Current Population Survey(CPS) This is a survey of 60,000 households from 2025 different geographical locations in the US. These numbers are accurate as possible. If you have time to run your mouths on here, do some research or get a job. Maybe take an online class so you don't look so stupid.
      by hmm on Feb 3, 2012 at 07:20 AM in reply to Downtown
      Yes mr smart guy that would be called selective information(controlled environment to get the results you want, it is election year), they are getting info from areas that had less unemployment while ignoring the majority of places that are still having layoffs. As well Intel is laying off 2000 people here soon. When early this week they announced unemployment applications were on the rise again. Facts don't lie unfortunately this current administration occupying the Whitehouse has been cooking the books when it comes to job numbers and it has been proven over and over. So before you run your mouth you might want to get your facts straight and not believe everything you read.
        by Downtown on Feb 3, 2012 at 08:47 AM in reply to hmm
        Silly hmm, you say things like, don't believe everything you read. Where do you get your info? Did you read it. CPS system was set up in 1940 as part of public works. It was revised in 1994(Obama was only 33, not old enough to be president). I am not an Obama Supporter by any stretch of the imagination. How would I support an administration which has extended NON working people's "benefits" to two years? This is absurd. The applications go up because they, (our Gov't) have made it so easy to collect "benefits" for sitting around doing nothing. By the way, these "Benefits" are paid by businesses who currently employ people. I have been an employ"ER" in Colorado since 1993. Never once have I received a call from the Department of Labor and Employment checking up on an applicant. The system is broken. I have never had a claim against my account. Never! and my rates went up 400% last year because the people who are not looking for work keep getting paid. There are jobs out there. Stop supporting banks and businesses who send jobs over seas. Put down the joystick from your video games and go look. By the way, your video games do not support LOCAL economy. Our(US) companies are laying off because they are under-performing in a Global Economy. That is the fault of the employees of that company. DONE! No go look for a job. Ask your neighbors if you can shovel some snow. Not my neighbors though, I did it for free this morning before I went to work.
      by Lorelei on Feb 3, 2012 at 07:21 AM in reply to Downtown
      excellent point! all the Obama haters will always criticize his work, never admit all the rebuilding he's done for this country after the previous administration left it in shambles...
        by Anonymous on Feb 3, 2012 at 07:26 AM in reply to Lorelei
        Barry's a globalist which is not a good thing. I'm waiting for the social security number scandal to break.
  • by Nath Location: Colo Spgs on Feb 3, 2012 at 06:46 AM
    The government seems to have forgotten what Abe Lincoln said: "You can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time."
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 138637134 - kktv.com/a?a=138637134