Cable, Satellite TV Rates Rising

By: AP
By: AP

DENVER (AP) -- Rates for most Colorado cable and satellite-TV customers are going up this year.

Providers are blaming increased programming costs.

Comcast, Colorado's largest cable-TV company, with more than 800,000 subscribers, is raising rates statewide by more than 4 percent. DirecTV will raise rates by an average of 4 percent beginning in February.

According to the Denver Post, Dish Network froze prices through January 2013 on primary programming packages as part of a hike last year.

• by Nikki Location: Colorado Springs on Jan 6, 2012 at 06:59 AM
    In addition to raising prices, they are cutting channels. So the net increase is rediculous. Each time they raise the price they cut the service. I'm don with COmcast. How about you?
  • by Chris Location: C/S on Jan 6, 2012 at 06:12 AM
    Enough! This is the same garbage we hear from them every year. Most of the channels I wouldn't watch if you paid me. Forget it, it's not going to happen!
  • by Dan Location: Monument on Jan 4, 2012 at 02:38 PM
    If you still think you can only get 3 channels over the air your a bit out of touch. Try 14 English language at least 5 Spanish language. CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox, PBS, and CW in better HD than cable. Then MyKKTV, News5 Now, Create, KBDI, KBDI , Megahertz Worldview, LeSea and LeSea Family in SD. If your on the north side you can get Denver also. So, none of this 3 channels stuff. It's most of the programming that most people watch anyway. I get 24 English language channels here in Monument. All the full powers from Lookout and Mount Morrison (Denver) and all but LeSea (51) from Cheyenne Mountain.
  • by Nick C Location: Colorado Springs on Jan 4, 2012 at 01:06 PM
    If enough of us, their customers, leave them they will reconsider. Just as Verizon recently did with their foolish/greedy $2.00 convenience fee for making a payment to them. Calling the companies we do bussiness with never proves convenient (yet we pay fees for this?) and secondly, the service from these providers is not worth the numerous fees and large sums of money we pay them. Lets vote with our wallets and move away from giving them far too much of our money.
  • by Jerry on Jan 4, 2012 at 12:28 PM
    Yea, its about time to turn these greedy SOB's off and go back to the 3 channels you get with an antenna. If you are wondering what is wrong with America, well here it is, "Greed"
  • by Anonymous on Jan 4, 2012 at 09:43 AM
    Glad I don't pay for mindless garbage. What's there to watch anyway? When we had cable 8 years ago I would watch Rachael Ray.... 2 years ago, when we were forced to get cable through a lease agreement, I watched the VERY SAME episodes of Rachael Ray I watched 8 years prior. We don't want or need cable.
  • by Larry Location: Pueblo West on Jan 4, 2012 at 09:32 AM
    I get all the channels I need with an antenna and a pc with tuners and software for recording that is far better than any of the cable/sat equipment. With Hulu I can watch the few shows I actually tuned in when I had cable/sat. They brag about 250 or more channels and most of us would watch less than a dozen of them. If enough people wake up they will have to start ala carte.
  • by Pat on Jan 4, 2012 at 09:21 AM
    A la Cart programming should be the wave of the future, but the companies know they have the monopoly.
  • by anon Location: cs on Jan 4, 2012 at 08:54 AM
    I agree, I do not speak spanish but yet I am required to purchase like 10 of these channels, I think it is a scam!!!!!
  • by Nath Location: Colo Spgs on Jan 4, 2012 at 08:46 AM
    While the programming cost are going up, program quality continues to decline across the spectrum. There are but a few channels of all those available I watch. We need the option to pick and choose which channels we want and pay for only those instead of having to buy a package which contains many we don't want and leaves us without some we would like to have but are only in a more expensive package.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 136664243 - kktv.com/a?a=136664243