FORT CARSON, Colo. (KKTV) - The governor of Rhode Island has ordered flags at half-staff to honor a homegrown soldier who died in a training accident on Fort Carson last week.
The accident happened on post Aug. 23 at 2:30 a.m. and remains under investigation. The following day, Fort Carson identified the soldier as 20-year-old Spc. Matthew R. Turcotte of North Smithfield, Rhode Island. Turcotte was shot while participating in a combined arms live-fire exercise at a southern range. Extensive medical aid was provided to Turcotte at the accident location; however, he was pronounced deceased on the range. The cause of the accident is under investigation.
“Our deepest condolences go out to Matthew Turcotte's family on his tragic and unexpected passing,” said Col. David Zinn, 2nd IBCT commander. “He exemplified commitment to our Army and selfless service to our Nation. Matthew was a tremendous soldier who will be dearly and personally missed by the Warhorse Brigade Team.”
Turcotte was assigned to the 2nd Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division. He entered the Army Aug. 10, 2015. He deployed to Kosovo once during his two years in the Army. He was an infantryman who arrived at Fort Carson Dec. 8, 2015.
Calling Turcotte a dedicated soldier who gave his life for his country, Rhode Island Gov. Gina Raimondo said the state was offering its prayers and condolences to his family.
Flags in Rhode Island will remain at half-staff until Spc. Turcotte is buried.