COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KKTV/The Gazette) - In observance of Veterans Day, city, county, state and federal offices will be closed Friday. Several parks and community centers will remain open.
Those closures in Colorado Springs include:
• City Hall
• City Clerk
• Municipal Court
• Sales Tax Office
• Administrative offices for Mountain Metropolitan Transit
• Park, Recreation & Cultural Services Administrative Building
• Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum
• Historic City Auditorium
• Sports Office and Therapeutic Recreation Programs Memorial Park
• Rockledge Ranch Historic Site
• Starsmore Visitor and Nature Center
• Meadows Community Center
• Otis Park
• Hillside Community Center
Banks and credit unions: Most banks and credit unions closed Saturday; check with individual banks or credit unions.
Buses (Metro Transit): Regular bus service Saturday.
Libraries: All Pikes Peak District Library branches open regular hours Saturday.
Postal Service: No mail service, and offices closed Saturday.
Malls: The Citadel, Chapel Hills and the Promenade Shops at Briargate open regular hours Saturday.
Major department and grocery stores: Open regular hours Saturday.
Several community and park areas will also remain open. The places that will be in service Friday are as follows:
• Pikes Peak Highway -free admission to military (active and retired) with ID.
• Garden of the Gods Park
• Garden of the Gods Visitor and Nature Center – Winter Hours: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
• Sertich Ice Center – Veterans Day Skate Special 2:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. $3 admission & skate rental
• Patty Jewett Golf Course – Weather dependent
• Valley Hi Golf Course – Weather dependent
• Deerfield Hills Community Center AFTER 1 p.m.
• Fairfield and Evergreen Cemetery- Gates open (offices closed)
Public events include:
Veterans Day Celebration - Community breakfast, wreath dedication, ceremony and more, 7:30 a.m., Pikes Peak Community College, Centennial Campus Atrium, 5675 S. Academy Blvd., free; 502-4100, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Combat Paper Workshops - Dedicated to honoring the stories of veterans and active duty service members by giving them a creative outlet whereby they turn memories into personal documents. Military uniforms are turned into paper pulp and workshop participants create sheets of one-of-a-kind paper, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Pikes Peak Community College, Centennial Campus, 5675 S. Academy Blvd., free. Registration: email@example.com.
Veterans Day Recital - "Little Hearts Big Music" - Performance by children ages 6-16, 1-2 p.m., Colorado Springs Senior Center, 1514 N. Hancock Ave., free. Registration: 955-3400, csseniorcenter.com.
We Can Build it - Veterans Day Celebration - Music, games, prizes and more, 3-7 p.m., Red Leg Brewing Co., 4630 Forge Road; tinyurl.com/y6uh86jp.
Women in the Military Portrait Exhibit - All day, Pikes Peak Community College, Centennial Campus Atrium, 5675 S. Academy Blvd., free; 502-4100, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pikes Peak Veterans Council Annual Veterans Day Ceremony - 11 a.m., The Disabled American Veteran's Hall, 6880 Palmer Park Blvd. Reserved seat: Kathy Hanner, 651-6967.
Veterans Day Signing - Sarah Byrn Rickman will sign her World War II titles, noon-2 p.m., Covered Treasures Bookstore, 105 Second St., Monument; 481-2665, coveredtreasures.com.
Free Admission - Colorado Parks and Wildlife honors veterans and active duty members of the military, military reserve and National Guard with free admission to any Colorado state park for Veterans. Military ID required; tinyurl.com/yaplt747.