Man pleads guilty in shooting death of mother's boyfriend

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KKTV) - UPDATE (7/11/18): Grant Motsinger, 26, pleaded guilty Wednesday to manslaughter in the May 20, 2017 shooting.

As part of a plea deal, the murder charges were dropped. That means the man is no longer facing a possible life sentence. Instead, he will see up to six years in prison.

Motsinger is expected to be sentenced in September.
PREVIOUS (5/26/17): A deadly shooting in northeast Colorado Springs may have stemmed from a domestic dispute. According to arrest papers, Kirk Maroo, 43, has been identified as the victim.

Maroo was the boyfriend of the suspect's mother. On May 26, police officially ruled the shooting as the 16th homicide for 2017 in Colorado Springs.

Police got a frantic call from a woman on Vermillion Bluffs Drive around 7:20 Saturday night.

"We've got a female on the line ... Just saying, 'Get an ambulance.'"
-Excerpt from dispatch tape

A couple of minutes later, the police dispatcher states that there may have been a domestic incident and the caller was scared.

"For the units en route to Vermillion Bluffs Drive ... Call stating that RP's [reporting party] mom shot her boyfriend and stated there was a domestic [disturbance] occurring and she felt threatened."

When officers arrived, they found a man inside with a gunshot wound. The victim died several hours later at a local hospital.

Late Sunday morning, police announced they had arrested 25-year-old Grant Motsinger for second-degree murder.

Arrest papers obtained by 11 News on Monday, tell a slightly different story.

Motsinger told police he had been home watching TV when his mom and her boyfriend, Maroo, came into the house arguing.

Motsinger reportedly turned up the volume on the TV, and shortly after, he was engaged in an argument with Maroo.

During the argument, Motsinger reportedly went upstairs and came back down with a gun.

Maroo allegedly told Motsinger, "You don't want to know what happened to the last person that pulled a gun on me!"

Motsinger told police they wrestled over the gun before he tried to walk away, but Maroo followed him. He said he told Maroo to "please stop" twice before shooting Maroo once in the chest.

Detectives said very early on in the investigation there was no threat to the community, and all individuals were accounted for.