COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KKTV) - After school was closed for more than a week, students will be able to return Monday. Doherty High School in Colorado Springs has been closed since Thursday, May 11 after a small fire broke out.
Hours later, a second fire at the same campus broke out, which sent a staff member to the hospital for smoke inhalation.
School was then closed through May 19 for ventilation and duct testing and cleaning.
District 11 say classes will operate with alternative schedules, as some buildings still remain closed.
"This morning when staff entered the building, they noticed a heavy smoke smell," said District 11 spokesperson Devra Ashby. "They called the fire department, the fire department responded, and they found there was a piece of wood smoldering in the art room, in a kiln. Because of that smoke, they determined with respiratory issues for students and staff they didn't want to risk anything, so they closed the school. Their main concern was the smoke.
"Then again a few hours later, staff noticed there was smoke coming from the laundry room behind the wrestling room. They went in and found a dryer was on fire ... There was heavy smoke again throughout the building."
Two staff were evaluated for possible smoke inhalation after the second incident. One was then transported to the hospital. Ashby didn't believe the injuries were serious.
"It's very odd to have two separate situations, call the fire department two times in one day," Ashby said.
Further testing and cleaning will take place over the summer, according to the district.
For more information on the schedule, click here.