Walmart says it has pulled a batch of powdered infant formula from stores nationwide after a newborn Missouri boy became gravely ill with a suspected infection and died after being taken off life support.
Walmart spokeswoman Dianna Gee said Wednesday the move is cautionary as health officials investigate Sunday's death of 10-day-old Avery Cornett of Lebanon, Mo.
No government recall has been ordered for the 12.5-ounce cans of Enfamil Newborn powder with the lot number ZP1J7G.
The Lebanon Daily Record reports Avery received a preliminary diagnosis of infection from a rare bacterium called Cronobacter sakazakii.
The formula's manufacturer, Mead Johnson Nutrition, says the batch Walmart pulled tested negative for the bacterium. Spokesman Christopher Perille says numerous companies sell the formula, though it's unclear if others sold from that batch.
Copyright 2014 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
KKTV firmly believes in freedom of speech for all and we are happy to provide this forum for the community to share opinions and facts. We ask that commenters keep it clean, keep it truthful, stay on topic and be responsible. Comments left here do not necessarily represent the viewpoint of KKTV 11 News.
If you believe that any of the comments on our site are inappropriate or offensive, please tell us by clicking “Report Abuse” and answering the questions that follow. We will review any reported comments promptly.powered by Disqus
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.