Call for Action Investigation: The Search for Ava

These pictures of Ava are among the few reminders this Army soldier has of his 1 1/2 year old American Bulldog.

Chris Dillon was serving with the 4th Brigade, 2nd I.D. in Baghdad, Iraq until an injury brought him stateside.

He entrusted her to a group with a foster program for deployed soldiers, thinking she was in good hands.

But now, he says getting answers from Rocky Mountain Dog Trainers' owner, Scott Martin has been a nightmare. He's hoping this appeal on Facebook will help.

We talked to Chris from Tacoma, Washington where he's now living via Skype.

Chris says, "Right as of now, he's telling me he can't tell me where she is...that the people that fostered her don't want their names released or that they're out traveling the country...or he can't get ahold of them. The story changes every time I get an answer from him."

Chris contacted me after hearing about our Call for Action Investigation into Rocky Mountain Dog Trainers and seeing how Martin reacted when I asked him about his refund policy.

For the last month I've been calling and leaving messages for Martin, but he hasn't returned my calls.

Rocky Mountain Dog Trainers is now closed, shut down by the Colorado Department of Agriculture for failing to qualify for a license.
What worries Chris are these old photos posted to the Rocky Mountain Dog Trainers website. Even though they're labeled "Bella", he believes these are pictures of his dog, Ava.

Chris says, "I would love to have her back in my arms right now, but my top priority right now is to know that she's safe."

According to the El Paso County District Attorney's office, Martin is currently facing a felony charge of identity theft and is supposed to be in court in January.

We'll keep you posted.

Chris tell us Ava has an implanted computer chip, but so far there's been no trace of her.

• by me on Jan 18, 2011 at 11:49 AM
    to this person that made last comment no he sold ava the militarys dog she was put down some more news is coming soon.its not over yet i hope you dont have a dog yourself sound very heart less
  • by anonymous Location: colorado on Jan 18, 2011 at 02:35 AM
    you all are crazy. people love their dogs more than their kids i swear. i hope the dog is ok and everything, but people need to move on. i think there are bigger issues in the city/state/country than a missing dog. wonder if missing kids would get this much attention if they would be found quicker...
  • by betsy Location: co on Jan 8, 2011 at 09:26 PM
    I cant believe this story is stil going on,it seems very odd that the avas page is not giving anything,information.Does this military man have any papers that he owns her i dont understand why he cant go after this scam.We hear nothing about him.I heard that his mom actually sent to shelter and it was rescued sent to colorado by rescue group.Why isnt his mom standing for him its confusing to lots.This Scott seems to be a scam every where you read.Its been over 4 weeks and nothing,i just hope ava is alive and well.
  • by BringAvaHome on Jan 6, 2011 at 12:47 PM
    Cornelia- please visit the FB page for Ava and share any info. Thanks! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bring-AVA-Home-Soldiers-Dog-Missing-From-Miltary-Deployment-Program/132126233514262
  • by Cornelia Location: Alabama on Jan 5, 2011 at 12:07 PM
    Leslie, Sorry I didn't make myself clear. The comments were removed from Ava's pictures on Facebook.
  • by Cornelia Location: Alabama on Jan 5, 2011 at 09:43 AM
    I helped in the rescue of Ava, from Alabama to CO. The pic is AVA. RMDT sent a driver to pick her up in AL and take her to CO. They stopped in AL after picking up a dog in GA. Scott and April promised to care for her in boarding until Chris returned to the US. Ava was with his parents who were not in a position to keep her long term since they had just relocated and were living with friends who had their own dogs. I visited Rocky Mountains Facebook page looking for updates, but there was no mention of Ava. Then one day I saw Ava's picture, the same picture that was emailed to me when I contacted Chris's Mom, the picture was titled Bella. I thought it was pretty strange to change the name of a dog in boarding. I believe I left a comment, but that comment has been removed. I just read about Ava's disappearance today. Since there was never any mention of her, I now wonder if she ever made it to CO. There was a comment from Chris's ex wife on Ava/Bella's picture, that was gone, too.
      by Leslie Fichera on Jan 5, 2011 at 10:00 AM in reply to Cornelia
      Cornelia, No comments have been manually removed from this story by KKTV. The comments you mentioned may have been automatically rejected by the system is they contained profanities. Aside from that, KKTV has not removed any individual comments from the story. If you have any other questions, please e-mail me at LFichera@kktv.com. Thanks, KKTV 11 News Director of New Media
  • by ka on Dec 29, 2010 at 06:25 PM
    Pete he knows his dog but there was another one that had different name but it was his dog they changed names HES SAYING YES IT IS AVA BUT CHANGED NAMES before folks say thing please know the infor is right.
  • by usa Location: usa on Dec 28, 2010 at 08:59 PM
    scott goes t show you dont care about animals or the people whom serve our country even to do an interview with channel 5 its all about you and the money just like april hand you both are no good con stealers and hurt people its all about you hope you 2 get what you both deserve hopefully the judge will put you back in prison where you belong and throw away the key you both are a disgrace
  • by Andrea Location: FLA. on Dec 27, 2010 at 08:41 PM
    Come on you creep, give this man back his dog. All the man wants is his dog back, he went and fought for you. How can you be so low as not to tell him where his dog is? You really are a low class idiot I hope they throw the book at you jerk!!!
  • by ka Location: texas on Dec 27, 2010 at 07:43 PM
    So far Scottie doggie the alpha has not done a thing what a shame of a human being.April is trying to clear her name that she has nothing to do with this excuse me she was in business and played and i said played the big office manager and she is as guilty as him. He thinks hes going to keep this play up and own a kennel good luck and on expense of the news Does he really think hes smart no low self image and a narcisstic trait.Sad after first story he might of been able to prove himself oh april begged to give a chance us folks,stood by him he failed april move on why do you stay?you believe he loves you cons play that game he doesnt even love himself he cant love anyone else,and poor ava is a example of his sickness.this will be his final chapter hurting poor ava and making folks think he loved animals ava belongs home and sure missing Chris.Come on scott before ypu go to trail step up be a man produce ava You may be fighting you love money self absorbed we will get ava you watch
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 112351184 - kktv.com/a?a=112351184