Reports of infant strangulation deaths caused by electrical cords of Summer Infant baby monitors have led to a voluntary recall.
In a joint effort between the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and Summer Infant Inc., the recall was announced Friday for the 1.7 million video baby monitors, which come with an electrical cord that has, in two instances, strangled an infant to death. In March of 2010, a 10-month-old girl was strangled in her crib by the electrical cord on the baby monitor, which had been placed on top of the crib rail. In November 2010, a six-month-old boy was also strangled by the cord. A 20-month-old boy was found with the electrical cord wrapped around his neck, but survived the incident without serious injury.
Summer Infant will provide new on-product labels for the product’s electrical cords and instructions for consumers on all video monitors sold between January 2003 and February 2011. Consumers are asked to contact Summer Infant at 1-800-426-8627 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST Monday through Friday or visit their website to receive a new warning label about strangulation risk and revised instructions on how to properly mount the camera to keep the cords out of the child’s reach. CPSC and Summer Infant encourage parents to examine to video monitor’s location to ensure that all cords are out of the child’s reach.
More than 40 different models of the Summer Infant video baby monitor were sold around the country for $60 to $300. All monitors included the camera and at least one hand held device. The product is labeled with the brand name “Summer.”