Red Light Camera Scam

Red light cameras: four in Colorado Springs and two in Pueblo on the north and south sides of town.

Police say they're making the streets safer and bringing in revenue for both cities.

Now crooks are using them too. They're calling you on the phone, claiming you were caught running a red light and time to pay your ticket is running out.

They're asking you to pay it now or a warrant for your arrest will be issued.

Folks we talked with say because the system's so new... they don't know how cities are collecting the fines.

One suggested, "If there's any doubt call and question the authenticity."

Another told us, "I have been a victim of fraud. It is the hardest thing to get off your record."

I'm told the crooks are smooth. They're asking for your credit card number, the card's security code, your birth date, as well as social security number.

But don't buy it. Colorado Springs and Pueblo police tell me they'll never call you on the phone to pay such a fine.

They don't need your social nor your DOB. They already have that info.

If you get such a call, ask the so-called cop for a description of your vehicle and your license plate number.

Better yet ask for a photo of both. That should get them to hang up and alert them to leave you alone.

Both Colorado Springs and Pueblo police say red light tickets are mailed out after officials have carefully checked the images taken by the cameras.

• by Jared Location: Colorado Springs on Oct 31, 2011 at 01:54 PM
    "They don't need your social nor your DOB. They already have that info." That's not comforting either!!!!
  • by superchic2012 on Oct 17, 2011 at 01:55 PM
    and by the way, that number has 877 area code. is it from US? i don't know. anyway, i googled it and that number's been reported to http;//www.callercenter.com for scamming! how desperately stupid can this scammers get?
  • by superchic2012 Location: Texas, US on Oct 17, 2011 at 01:53 PM
    those are the question's I have in mind, Don. I've got a similar call before, told me i got unpaid traffic citation which is so not true. you see, I don't even have a car. hahaha!
  • by Anonymous on Oct 17, 2011 at 01:50 PM
    @ Dave: hahah! sometimes, i get that feeling, too. they do no good. they're not even in jail where they're supposed to be. Grrr!
  • by Dave Location: Colorado Springs on Sep 22, 2011 at 03:28 PM
    Just tell them, "My car just broke down this morning, can you come by and so I can write you a check?" If they actually do come by, invite them in and then shoot them. Use the Make My Day law to full advantage!
  • by TicketKick Location: San Diego, CA on Sep 22, 2011 at 11:08 AM
    Beware of these red light "scameras"! If you get a phone call, dismiss it’s authenticity immediately. Try to get information on the caller, and contact the police department. The courthouse and the police department do not contact people about traffic tickets via phone or email, so you can bet if you get a phone call about a ticket, the person on the other end is not who they say they are. There is a specific legal process in the law which they must abide by in issuing red light camera tickets, typically with a mailed notice with specific courthouse information on it. Fore more info on red light camera tickets, check out: http://www.ticketkick.com/red-light-camera-tickets/
  • by Don Location: Colorado Springs on Sep 22, 2011 at 09:09 AM
    Is there more to the story? What are the police doing to track and arrest the scammers - i.e. running a reverse lookup of the scammer phone numbers, credit card payments, etc.
  • by Darren Location: Colorado Springs on Sep 21, 2011 at 10:31 PM
    Agree Erin. I drive down Academy every morning from Flintridge to Platte. I count no less than 5-6 cars every day blowing through red lights. I usually am between 45-50 and people pass me like I am sitting still. It's amazing there aren't more accidents out here than there already are. You still see people speeding up when the light turns yellow, even at Platte and Murray (where one of the red light cameras are at).
  • by Erin S. on Sep 21, 2011 at 09:33 PM
    Or even better... just don't run red lights. No need to act like an idiot, just drive at the speed limit and pay attention.
  • by Anonymous on Sep 21, 2011 at 09:23 PM
    Or better yet get rid of the cameras. People act like idiots around them, either going too fast or too slow. I've been nearly rear ended by people trying to get through them quickly and now lowlifes are taking advantage. Nice news.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 130316318 - kktv.com/a?a=130316318