Businesses, Beware: Latest Scam Targets Colo. Organizations

Businesses and non-profits, beware—these are the targets of the latest scam to circulate in Colorado.

Colorado Secretary of State Scott Gessler announced Monday that a letter has been sent out to many organizations in Colorado asking for a $225 annual fee to file reports with the Secretary of State’s office. Gessler says that the letter is fraudulent—in most cases, the annual fee to file with the Secretary of State is $10.

11 News spoke with a local businesswoman, Sue Coons, who says she almost got taken. She says "I'm very glad my husband was home to have read that-- looked over my shoulder and peeked in and said 'wait a minute'"

She says it's a hard business climate right now- and every business owner should take a close look at what you're signing.

Scott Gessler says “We work hard to keep business filing fees low and communicate with these entities about the need for periodic filings,” Gessler said. “These kinds of deceptive mailings create unnecessary confusion. We’ve taken great strides to create an user friendly, efficient system to file these reports online directly with the Secretary of State’s office.”

Below is the full text of the alert sent out in response to the mailings:

The Colorado Secretary of State’s office is notifying Colorado businesses of a possibly deceptive solicitation issued by “Corporate Controllers Unit.” The entity has mailed solicitations titled “Periodic Report” to businesses in Colorado. These solicitations offer to process periodic reports with the Secretary of State’s office on behalf of entities for a $225.00 fee. Though the majority of entities doing business in Colorado are required to file periodic reports with the Secretary of State’s office, the filing can be completed directly with the Secretary of State’s office and in most cases the fee is merely $10.00.

Although the solicitations contain disclaimers stating that “This product or service has not been approved or endorsed by any Government Agency and this offer is not being made by an agency of the Government,” the solicitation is creating confusion. Please be aware, the forms are not required by the Colorado Secretary of State’s Office. We encourage you to review your entity’s record and if necessary file any needed reports online at www.sos.state.co.us.

You may check the status of an entity online at www.sos.state.co.us. Select “Search Business Database” in the blue “Let us help you…” box under the Business Center column of the Secretary of State’s homepage. Enter either the entity name or ID number in the appropriate field on the Records Search page. Searching by the entity’s ID number will display the Summary page. Searching by the entity name will result in a list of names similar to the name searched and will require you to select the proper record. Review the information on the Summary page to confirm that the proper record has been retrieved. The current status for the entity is listed near the middle of the Summary page.

If you have any questions please contact my staff directly at 303-894-2200 or email business@sos.state.co.us.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Scott Gessler
Secretary of State

• by Falcon Location: FAN on Apr 11, 2011 at 06:49 PM
    I got the same think and I never opened the Business so I freaked! I did not send money but explained that I never opened that business and gave them my name, name of Business and my SSN (DUMB. So what do I do now. When I sent the letter I attached a return receipt with it but hell anyone can sign it. I feel so STUPID!
  • by Andrea Location: Colorado Springs on Apr 7, 2011 at 09:53 AM
    Thank you for letting us know about this scam. Due to your alert, I did not pay the fee. I have also filed a complaint with Colorado's Department of State about the matter, following Rick's advice.
  • by pc Location: c/s on Apr 5, 2011 at 06:16 PM
    I as well recieved my scam letter today. I have a LLC not a corp so that was a heads up for me but what if anything can we do to help stop these criminals. If checks are cashed by some bank cant it be traced from info on your returned checks or some thing from the bank? I have in some instances found phone numbers or names from where checks have been cashed. Hope people recoginize this scam in time.Nasty trick
  • by Colorado Location: Springs on Apr 4, 2011 at 10:37 PM
    I received one as well for my company. I knew it was a scam but I know some people probably didn't I hope these people can be brought to justice for trying to scam us.
  • by Rick on Apr 4, 2011 at 09:55 PM
    I also received this letter; it looks very official and uses official rhetoric. Having filed my company's periodic report a few months back I knew it was a scam. I did a business search on the Colorado Secretary of State web sight: www.sos.state.co.us and found that a Statement of Foreign Entity was filed on January 20, 2011. The Foreign Entity was a Nevada Corporation. Looked up the Nevada Secretary web sight: www.nvsos.gov and Articles of Incorporation were filed on 9/30/2010. Corporate Controllers Unit (Inc.) is a registered business whose business is to take your money. The best way to stop this is to file a complaint with The Colorado Attorney Generals Office and the Nevada Attorney Generals office. State that Maxim Kitaev is using deceptive business practices to try to rip companies off. Asked that they file a cease and desist order. In addition, any one who has been taken by this scam should take legal action to recover their losses.
  • by Lynn Location: Colorado Springs, CO on Apr 4, 2011 at 09:24 PM
    I received 2 letters today from Corporate Controllers Unit LLC. I have an LLC on each of the 2 rental properties I own. I hope the people responsible for this are stopped and prosecuted.
  • by Judy Location: Colorado Springs on Apr 4, 2011 at 08:29 PM
    Can they not trace these letters back to the P.O. Box the letter was addressed from and find out who rented the box? I would think this is mail fraud at a minimum.
  • by Roman Location: US on Apr 4, 2011 at 07:07 PM
    Like to see this scam-bag to be prosecuted it must to be a lawyer of some sort playing on law abiding citizens nerve, he thinks he checked on all angles of how not to be prosecuted. Hope he will see some American justice at work.
  • by Citizen K on Apr 4, 2011 at 03:58 PM
    Thanks KKTV! We got this letter this morning and our Admin put it through to our Accounting dept.(in Alaska) so it may have just been paid and not checked up on. Glad I saw this and we were able to notify our AK office.
  • by LARRY Location: MONUMENT on Apr 4, 2011 at 02:45 PM
    I also received notices last Friday, (April Fool's Day)for both of my corporations. I immediately knew it was a scam but read it twice to be sure. I shreded them both without thinking about filing a complaint with the local Postmaster; maybe I should have.
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 119196554 - kktv.com/a?a=119196554